On February 16th 2021, LastPass issued guidance to say that they are changing how their free model works. Under the free plan, you will only be able to use your LastPass account on one device type. This is not great if you use LastPass on both your phone and laptop.
I have been looking into decent alternatives and have settled on BitWarden as it offers pretty much all the features that LastPass did, as well the same integrations – and crucially you are not restricted to using it on only one device.
The transfer of the passwords from LastPass to BitWarden was pretty straightforward – here’s a quick guide on how to do it.
- Log into your LastPass Vault.
- Under Advanced Options, choose Export from the Manage Your Vault section.
- You will be prompted to enter in your master password, then it will download a lastpass_export.csv file.
- Log into your BitWarden Profile and select Tools and Import Data.
- Select LastPass csv file format and use the Choose File button to select your exported lastpass_export.csv file.
- Click Import Data and you should see your passwords have fully migrated over.
- Install the app on your phone and the browser plugin and remove your existing LastPass one.
- Don’t forget to disable the Offer to Save Passwords option in your browser – this stops passwords being saved into your web browser store. In Chrome you can find it easily by searching for Password in the browser settings.
3. Delete your LastPass account and lastpass_export.csv! 😀